Call for a professional consult today 734.281.2050

Top Ten Bankruptcy Mistakes: Continuing to use your Credit Card


Continuing to use Credit Cards

The Bankruptcy Code is designed to give the honest debtor a second chance and to treat all creditors in a fair and uniform manner. One problem which arises is the situation where the debtor continues to use credit a short time before filing a bankruptcy. Under such circumstances it can be argued that this is abusive to a particular creditor.

Therefore, certain consumer debts and cash advances incurred at 90 and 70 days, respectively, before filing maybe deemed to non-dischargeable. The ultimate goal of bankruptcy is discharge of debts and so non-dischargability is to be avoided. In addition, to the non-dischargeable aspect of these items it can also create a great deal of additional legal expenses to you. That is because a creditor’s claim for non-dischargability will likely require a response from your legal counsel and additional charges will apply.

A Debtor does have a defense that if the goods and services acquired were “reasonably necessary for the support and maintenance of the debtor or a dependent of the debtor” that they are still dischargeable. However, all of this takes time and money to argue.

As a rule therefore, put those credit cards away at least 90 days before filing your case. Otherwise, you may be in for an objection to your discharge and a finding by a judge of non-dischargeability. Even if the survive these allegations you will be incurring a great deal of needless expense.

[Guy Vining, a bankruptcy attorney, in metro-Detroit, maintains his office in Taylor, Michigan where he serves the downriver communities of Monroe, South Rockwood, Gibraltar, Brownstown Township, Grosse Ile, Woodhaven, Trenton, Southgate, Riverview, Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Westland, Wayne, and Ecorse. If you or a family member of friend would like a no-obligation no cost consultation/financial analysis, just call or E-mail Guy Vining of Vining Law Group, P.L.C to schedule a meeting.]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.